Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

We recently watched the movie ‘Invictus’. I really enjoyed it, although felt a bit sad at how poorly people of ‘colour’ were treated during Apartheid. I was 16 when Nelson Mandela was elected president.
I remember when I was around 10 years old, riding my bike down the road and I spoke to a gardener about Apartheid. I was horrified that a person could be treated unfairly based solely on the colour of their skin. I never really knew what to do about it, except what my parents taught me and that was to treat everyone equally. I had hoped that it would change. It did.
After Nelson Mandela was released from prison and became president, he made every effort to create a better South Africa. He put his people first and led with humility and integrity. He was able to put aside the fact that he sat in prison for so many years because he was fighting for liberation, freedom, democracy. He did not try and take revenge, he could have, but instead he was a true example to every person on how to forgive. A remarkable man in all honesty.
In some ways, ‘Invictus’ made me home sick. I don’t miss the crime, politics or the racial tension, but I miss what I could have done to make someone else’s life better. So many people can be helped. There are people starving yet politicians are becoming porky. Madiba was there to create a better place for the people, but now it seems that those in leadership positions are greedy and look after their own best interests even if it means taking advantage of others or bending the law to suit themselves. They make promises to their people but never fulfill them and don’t seem to care about the poverty right before their very eyes. They are willing to kill for someone in power. They hide corruption and plead innocence. How sad. Sis on you!
I would love to know how Mandela feels about South Africa now, I am sure he never envisioned it to be what it is. He wanted us to live in love and harmony.
Living in Australia probably doesn’t give me much liberty to comment, but I think the question should be why I left? People always play the ‘race card’. You left because you are racist. No I left for better opportunities; I don’t want to hide my handbag in the boot, drive through red traffic lights at night, hold onto my bag like my life depended on it, be afraid of noises in the night and read the newspaper with that blasé approach.
Watching ‘Invictus’ reminded me of that hope that we felt sure was in our future as the ‘Rainbow Nation’. All I have to say is watch the movie, be inspired and if you are able try get that hope back. Maybe the next generation will be better at righting the past. South Africa is a beautiful country and when we first came together it was overwhelming and inspiring. Now it’s beauty seems untouchable, you can’t enjoy a walk along the beach without fear.
Nelson Mandela, I sure do wish you could have lived and been president forever. Viva Mandela.

Invictus – William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment